Friday, April 2, 2010

April Challenge

What is it about Facebook that sucks you in? I could be gone from my computer for three minutes and have the itch to check if anyone posted something new since I left. I think Facebook is a great tool. Staying in touch with old friends, connecting with new friends, using it as a research tool (it was great for my journalism major)-- these are all great benefits of having a Facebook. But sometimes I feel like having all of this technology creates a handicap to living abundant lives. We become so consumed with this cyber-world and television that we lose sight of the real world.

So a couple of weeks ago Dan and I decided to do without Facebook, video games and TV for the month of April. It's only been one full day and I've already had to hold my fingers back from typing in the web address. I'm not doing this because I think Facebook and TV are bad, I just want to see the difference it will bring to the things I do each day. Hopefully my days will be more productive and the activities I do with my husband will be more creative than plopping ourselves in front of video games or the television. It is so easy for me (especially while I'm not working) to sit down in front of the TV while I eat lunch and get drawn in. The next thing I know it's 2 hours later and I haven't moved. The only exception we are allowing is our Tuesday night LOST show.

I hope that this time apart from Facebook and TV helps me deepen my relationship with God, spend more real quality time with my husband, be more productive, read more, get outside more, and connect with people in a more personal way.

1 comment:

  1. I gave up Facebook for Lent a few years ago and it was definitely difficult to do especially since I was still in school. But I actually liked it and still delete my facebook from time-to-time now just to get a break.

    ReplyDelete