Monday, April 12, 2010

Just Call Me Grace

Mornings are not my thing. But usually, I can manage to spring out of bed hit the snooze button 10 times and get up early enough to be somewhere if I know it's absolutely important to be there on time--like a temp job. I know it is necessary to arrive on the job at least 10 minutes early. So today I started my third temp position at Pulte Homes. Mapquest calculated a 30 minute commute, not counting traffic. So I allowed myself an hour. Sounds reasonable, right? I left at 7:30, dodged traffic and made it to the building at 8:15.

What I didn't add into the equation was walking into the wrong building, no one knowing what in the world Pulte Homes was, trying to walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator, and tumbling down the stairs. This was no ordinary fall. This wasn't a graceful slip-of-the-foot-and-grab-the-handrail-just-in-time fall. About three or four stairs from a landing the heel of my shoe caught on my dress pant and I went flying to the ground (head first), the left side of my body slamming into the floor and squishing all of my belongings I was carrying. It even scraped the skin on my knee despite my pants covering it! I jumped up, had a "did-that-just-really-happen?" moment, and thanked God no one was around to see. Though whoever watches that security tape later might get a good laugh. (Man, I would love to see that)

I thought I might cry, but I still needed to compose myself and find where I should be reporting for work. Come to find out, the building I was in was 1255 and the one I needed to be in was next door, 1225. I saw 1225 first and thought it was all one big building so I didn't study the numbers on the other building. Finally, I arrived to the correct location--out of breath, frazzled, and a little late. Needless to say I took the elevator the rest of the day even though the suite is only on the second floor.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, I've fallen so many times in public it's not even funny. I remember while working at Liberty I was always with the same co-worker every time I fell, he probably thought I was a complete klutz at first but we became friends later so now hopefully he knows I'm not a total loser lol.
    I also did the whole temp thing the summer before senior year so I know just how hectic it can be always going to new places!!
    How are you liking it so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok. It's interesting seeing what different offices are like. The lady I'm working with is really interested in finding me a job so she's offered me as much as she gets in. I'm supposed to have an interview with the people I first temped with for a permanent position but I really feel like I need to be in a creative field and it would just be data entry. I could do it for a while but I feel like I'm losing everything I've learned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I know, I feel the same way after a year out of school. I feel like I don't really remember anything! But keeping a blog is a good idea to practice your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Touch of New YorkApril 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM

    Oh my goodness...would have loved to have seen how you maintained your composure....so glad you weren't hurt...it could've been really ugly....glad you didn't land on your face....love you...your favorite fan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Touch of New YorkApril 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

    Do what you love and love what you do....passion is the key to being good at what you do....whatever you do in life, do it with passion! Philippians 1:6....Be confident of this, that God who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus!!!!

    ReplyDelete