Last year at this time I was in paradise Australia with my brand new husband, laying in a hammock in the middle of the rainforest, hanging out with kangaroos and koalas, and exploring the Great Barrier Reef . Most people can only dream of a honeymoon like that. Except no one warns you about the miserable flights it takes to get to paradise. But that’s another story for another time. Sometimes I smell something and it reminds me of the lodge we stayed at (does that make me weird?).
Since I’m reminiscing about my honeymoon and trying to remember the details, I was also trying to remember what I could about the details on our wedding day. You might be thinking, ‘Your anniversary is over, Brooke. Get over it.’ But this post is not for you. This one’s for me. I wanted to write down what I was thinking and feeling the day of my wedding so I won’t ever forget it.
We didn’t plan on being at the church until noon, but like a little kid wakes up early on Christmas, I woke up around 6 a.m. and tiptoed around the sleeping bridesmaids in my room to go outside for a walk. I remember the air was a little chilly and misty so I grabbed my jacket and walked up to the stop sign and back, praying for God to calm my nerves, give me peace throughout the day, and help me remember the details (and beautiful weather too!). I won’t ever forget that moment in time.
The mom of one of my bridesmaids was staying at a neighbor’s house and came out for a jog around the time I was heading back. She asked if I wanted her to walk with me but I told her I was going back to get ready. When I got back home everyone was still sleeping and I soaked in a bath then took a shower (yes, I did both…I needed clean hair).
After that everyone was pretty much getting up and ready for the day. We had a huge breakfast spread thanks to some friends so we indulged in that and then it was pretty much everyone buzzing around the house trying to get everything together to take to the church.
When we got to the church we enjoyed a Chick Fil A and Subway lunch then got to work! By that time the weather was perfect. I sat in the girls’ room watching hair being done, make up applied, and dresses steamed while Carmen worked on my hair and make up. I remember reading Dan’s note to me while getting ready and laughing because it was so short and I wrote a novel to him. But that’s exactly him. And what he said was perfect and exactly what I needed.
After the boys and Dan’s family had their pictures done, it was our turn. That was one part I was feeling a little anxious about since the time was so limited. I remember the feeling I had as I turned the corner and saw my dad for the first time that day and laughing as a fight almost broke out between one of the church coordinators and the maid of honor (not really but there was some funny back and forth conversation).
Back at the church when the pictures were finished we had to stay in the waiting room until the ceremony started. It was such a sweet time. My mom gave me a pearl bracelet with my new initials on it and we all had a sweet time of prayer. Of course, the waterworks started flowing again.
When we walked out to get ready for the ceremony to begin, my heart started beating a little faster. When it was just me and my dad standing behind the closed doors I really started getting nervous. Then the bells that were supposed to announce the bride entering started.
Side story: At the rehearsal someone mentioned a three minute bell and I was like “WHAT?!?!” And someone said “No way. They meant three rings.” So I shrugged it off.
Well, they did mean three minutes. Do you know how long three minutes is when you’re waiting for a bride??? THAT’s when I got a little annoyed. And I’m not sure who started it but someone finally stood up despite the bells and the music started and I entered. (I heard it was my mom.) I also heard that Dan’s grandfather said “She's not coming!”
I remember walking in and seeing everyone and the tears started. And then at the end of the aisle my grandfather leaned over and made loud kissy noises and made me laugh. When we reached the stairs I remember seeing my best friend bawling which made it really hard for me to hold mine back. And when my dad gave me away I remember laughing at his awkward hug with Dan (thankfully the videographer got it at an angle where it doesn’t look so awkward).
At the top of the steps I forgot to give Aimee my bouquet and held it for the entire hour. (Yes, it lasted an hour. My poor bridesmaids). That thing was heavy! When the second pastor spoke is when we should have turned and faced each other but for some reason we didn’t. And after he was finished and Anadara sang we still didn’t turn to each other and it was pretty awkward staring at the candles while the audience stared at our backs through the whole song. Oh well.
When Dan’s dad got up to do our vows he almost started doing them with us not facing each other and I finally had enough and turned before he started. Finally I could look into my groom’s eyes. We said our vows, of course I cried, and then there was the kiss. It was the most amazing and beautiful day of my life and I am so thankful God gave me that peace and helped me absorb all the details that I will remember for the rest of my life.


this made me cry! so sweet :) happy anniversary!!
ReplyDelete